Thread: Balkan Ice-Hockey Union

IHWC Cup of countries of Southeastern Europe?

SHLBiH je na kongresu IIHF-a potpisao je regionalni sporazum o suradnji između zemalja jugoistočne Evrope Srbije, Rumunije, Hrvatske, Bugarska, Turske i BiH koji podrazumijeva razvoj hokeja u ovim zemljama kao i održavanje Kupa jugoistočne Evrope u hokeju na ledua koji je spreman podržati i IIHF. Na ponudu SHLBiH za domaćinstvo dogovoren je i prvi sastanak organizacionog odbora u Sarajevu u prvoj sedmici novembra 2010.

I've just found this text on the official site of Bosnian ice hockey federation.

Translation:
    On IIHF congress SHLBIH (Bosnian ice hockey federation) signed agreement about cooperation between ice hockey federations of countries of southeastern Europe (Serbia, Croatia, Bulgaria and Turkey).It involves hockey development in these countries and also playing the Cup of Southeastern European countries in ice hockey.IIHF is ready to support that project.Bosnian federation applied for hosting the first meeting of organization committee which will take place in Sarajevo in first week of November.

Sounds really interesting but how realistic is the whole story we will see soon.
    Last edited by Pršljen; 21-09-2010 at 20:17.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

It is very interesting, and I will keep my fingers crossed - I'd love to see a new competition for the region, I think it would be very helpful for the hockey programs in all those countries.

Regional cooperation, plus a competition between nations would be great.
    Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to see a Croatia-Bosnia scoreline.

Eeesh... Croatia-Serbia or Serbia-Bosnia could maybe break the record set in that Vityaz game...

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    Eeesh... Croatia-Serbia or Serbia-Bosnia could maybe break the record set in that Vityaz game...
    You are wrong with this one.Hockey is not sport in which these countries have big rivalry.OK, maybe Croatia and Serbia have some tensions between them but nothing more.They played many friendly games and our clubs played with Serbian and as I can remember there weren't any big incidents and many penalty minute in the games.Nothing more than anywhere else.

The reason for that is that hockey isn't so popular in those two countries especially on NT level.Hockey communities in Serbia and Croatia are pretty small and fans who are attending those games are mostly true hockey fans.
    Same thing is with players, no big tensions between them.

That would change if Partizan one day would join EBEL.EBEL is very popular in Croatia and if they would play with Partizan there would definitely be fans who aren't interested in hockey, on both sides.

Bosnia and Herzegovina is another case.Hockey community there is so small and limited that every player know another and almost every hockey lover know another.There is that group of people who are playing and who played hockey and they are making WHOLE hockey community in the country.In other words, no one expect current and former players(and their families and friends) is interested in hockey so when they would play against Serbia and Croatia no one would know for that.
    Bosnian players are playing friendly games with Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian players so I'm sure that there won't be problems in their games with them.

These matches that you mention won't be problem, neither for fans or players.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

@Prsljen: well, I was mostly being facetious, I know it wouldn't be like football (is it like that for water polo too?)... like from what I was told it was like in Hungary, there wasn't any nonsense between the fans (the fans of both teams went to the ice to help shovel the snow away to let the game continue, in one example), because the only people who went to a hockey game was people who actually wanted to see a game.

And, I know in other things (non sports) there's good relations...

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    @Prsljen: well, I was mostly being facetious, I know it wouldn't be like football (is it like that for water polo too?)... like from what I was told it was like in Hungary, there wasn't any nonsense between the fans (the fans of both teams went to the ice to help shovel the snow away to let the game continue, in one example), because the only people who went to a hockey game was people who actually wanted to see a game.

And, I know in other things (non sports) there's good relations...
    Yes, I understood that.But I'm always a little bit sensitive when it's about things like this(matters of former Yugoslavia nations and it's relations).I don't like when someone talks about that with prejudices considering us here in mostly negative way.Things aren't so simple so I really don't like to talk much about it.

Of course, this has nothing to do with you.I understand what you were trying to say but I just don't like to hear about these things even when the meaning is facetious, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pršljen View Post
    .They played many friendly games and our clubs played with Serbian and as I can remember there weren't any big incidents and many penalty minute in the games.

It is true 50:50.

In late 2000-s there were incidents when some Serbian club came to Zagreb and reverse. In Interliga match in 2000. Medveščak and Crvena Zvezda played in Zagreb in front of 6.500* fans. There were incidents between BBB (football fans of Dinamo Zagreb) and police. BBB-s were throwing lighters, beer cans etc. In same season in Belgrade "Delije" (football fans of Crvena Zvezda) threw many many chairs that they previously torn when Bears played in Belgrade. Players on the ice in both games had had their "show" as well.

*That season most of Medvescak home games in Interliga was seen by 2500-4000 fans.

Season after Crvena Zvezda were replaced by Vojvodina in Interliga (not because of incidents it was because of money). In Novi Sad there were no incidents, but in Zagreb again some lighters "visited" the ice, so refs had to clean it.

At WC Division 2 in 2007. Croatia and Serbia played in front of almost sellout crowd in Dom Športova. There were few incidents on the ice and off the ice as well. Also, Serbian players were attacked in city center while they had had day off. It was very shameful day for City of Zagreb because year before Croatian U20 team played in Belgrade at WC and nobody touched them while they walked through Belgrade in jackets with Croatian flags (confirmed by players).

Only games which passed without any incidents were in 2007/2008. in Panonian league
    Last edited by Spitfire; 28-09-2010 at 14:05.
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

Balkan Ice-Hockey Union

I´m 100% sure this has been discussed over here somewhere already and I tried to find it, but couldn´t, so I guess there isn´t a thread dedicated solely to this/or it is but only on one nations´ board/or I´m just blind and can´t see it. But anyway Spitfire posted the link to this idnes.cz article and I translated it for the Croatian board, so I thought I might very well post it here and find out whether it is really true and to which extent:

Hockey Balkan is comming together, nine countries created a union

Common efforts to develop hockey in the Balkan region and its neighboorhood. Such is the main motto of the newly created Balkan hockey union, which was founded by nine countries: Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Hecergovina, FYROM, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Croatia and Slovenia with the support of the IIHF.

These initiative started last year in April, when officials from Romania, Serbia and Bosnia and Hercegovina started talking about clsoer cooperation. Gradually other countries started joining. They agreed that the seat of the union will be in Sarajevo.

In October Balkan Challenge Cup for U16 players will take place in Serbia, where teams will be divided into two groups based on performance. In next years this tournament should be also played in Turkey, Croatia and Romania. Starting 2015 the U20 teams should have their tournament as well, the first one should be hosted by Greece.

Already in autumn a Balkan league will start. In the elite group teams from Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, FYROM and Bosnia and Hecergovina will start. Teams from Turkey, Bulgaria and Greece will create the 2nd group. The Romanians will not start in this competition for now as their teams play a common league with Hungarian teams.

Here a more extensive article from a Romanian hockey blog:

Balkan Ice Hockey Union

Romania and eight other Balkan states, with the support of International Ice Hockey Federation, founded Balkan Ice Hockey Union, the regional body that will have as main goal the development of hockey in this region of Europe. Read on to find out more! source: rohockey.ro

The initiative belonged to the federation officials in Romania, Serbia and Bosnia Herzegovina, who first met in April last year for a regional development program. The first discussion was attended by representatives of associations from Romania, Serbia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Turkey. Structure and objectives of the Union were presented by the International Ice Hockey Federation, who came up with the proposed extension of this regional program, so this platform was joined three other countries: Croatia, Slovenia and Greece.

International Ice Hockey Federation appreciated the usefulness of this program and sent one of its representatives to talk, Ernest Aljancic, member of the IIHF, which, ultimately, the Balkans and was elected president of Ice Hockey, with headquarters in Sarajevo.

The Balkan Ice Hockey Union has been designed and structured for a period of five years, the main objectives being:

- Promotion of ice hockey in the region;
    - Promotion and development of children at hockey;
    - Joint organization of competitions;
    - Organizing training camps central;
    - Development of technical training by attending seminars to coaches, referees and other officials;
    - Development of the relations with the Center of Excellence from Vierumaki
    - Develop a marketing program for the region- Cooperation among members

All activities organized by the Balkan Union Ice Hockey Federation will be co-financed by the International Ice Hockey

The first part of the season 2011-2012, provides for the organization in Sarajevo, a camp for the Under 16 national team, which will be led by instructors sent by the international organization. In this field, will attend five players (four + a goalkeeper) with a coach.

In September, Serbia will hold the Nationals Challenge Cup Under 16 World Championship competition organized on the model, the participating teams will be divided into two value groups, according to rankings.
    Each team shall be composed of 15 players, two goalies, five officials and an arbitrator being accepted and the proposal that the group should be included more than three players and a goalkeeper in the Under 17. During this competition, IIHF instructors will design a training program specifically for goalkeepers, referees and officials.

The following editions of Challenge U16 Cup will be organized by Turkey (2012), Croatia (2013) and Romania (2014). Under discussion in 2015 will be held for teams Under 20 Challenge Cup, which will be hosted by Greece.
    At club level teams will be organized two regional leagues: Croatia, Slovenia, Macedonia and Bosnia Herzegovina, in a league, Turkey, Bulgaria and Greece, in the other league. For the moment, Romania will not evolve in any of the two leagues, given that our country has a competition in partnership with Hungary.

Representatives of the world court decided to send letters of support from officials of each Member State (the Government Olympic Committee, Ministry of Sports) will highlight the importance of developing the sport, and support for this discipline.

I wonder whether Hungary might be a candidate to join this sometimes? They are close to these countries and they could be a great example of how to develop hockey in a country to the others.

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=9929

This is from the time when union was founded.

Anymore updates with this?

Are the club teams from the countries going to play in a league?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Anymore updates with this?

Are the club teams from the countries going to play in a league?
    No news in Croatia about that yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    No news in Croatia about that yet...
    Neither in Bosnia and Herzegovina

IHF Member
    I really hope this Balkan ice hockey league works to improve the quality of hockey in the region and if there are no teams interested in joining now will this ever become a reality?

IHF Prospect
    I would be somewhat impressed, if this hockey league starts working well.
    There would be a better perspective for the players but also for the clubs and the organisation.
    Moreover balkanian hockey will get somewhat better in international challenges.
    freewarenetz.de
    http://www.zertifikateboard.de/
    Last edited by Roina; 11-07-2012 at 10:08.

IHF Prospect
    Some info about:
    From 06.08.2011 will start a camp in Bled, Slovenia, for boys which was born in 1996. From each country of the Balkan Ice hockey Union will participate 5 boys. This info I get from Bulgarian Ice Hockey Federation.
    Last edited by Evgeni; 28-07-2011 at 09:10.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post
    I really hope this Balkan ice hockey league works to improve the quality of hockey in the region and if there are no teams interested in joining now will this ever become a reality?
    How I understood it means that from each country will be selection and will participate something like National Teams.

Her's the update about the situation. There was a meeting yesterday in Zurich between current president of Balkan ice hockey union Haris Muhić (also presdient of B&H federation) and Rene Fasel and IIHF representatives. IIHF will invest 320 thousand CHF (260 thousand euros) in BIHU program for next 4 years.

Bosnian hockey federation is leading BIHU for this season and they'll be in charge for 2012 activites and these are gonna be:
    - development camp for goaltenders in January in Turkey
    - development camp for coaches in February in Sarajevo
    - Balkan hockey festival in April in Belgrade (probably some kind of tournament)

Just to make sure that everyone knows that BIHU members are: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey. Only their federation players and coaches will take part in mentioned activities

Here's the link on Bosnian federation site: http://shlbih.com.ba/ba/?p=302

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=28f8dab8d0

I really can't believe this, BIHU getting an award. For what? Where did they spent money taken from the IIHF?

IHF Member
    It's the IIHF that got the award rather than the BIHU but it does seem premature to give them an award when so little has been achieved thus far.

Geoff

Thread Information