Thread: corruption

Banned

corruption

So, I ran across an interesting piece of news on corruption over in Russian hockey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp7519

A 19-year-old player who was drafted by Severstal in the KHL Entry Draft two years ago claimed that he had to give up 50 percent of his monthly salary to secure a roster spot. The accused manager has maintained all along that the money was paid voluntarily and it went to other "less advantaged" players — those who made a lot less.

Dmitry Gromov, a 19-year-old Severstal player, went to the police in December last year with the complaint. The manager, Dmitry Popov, was arrested and, after signing a confession, was released pending criminal investigation. He was later charged under Article 159 of the Russian Criminal Code with "Swindling…by a person through his official position."

The confession stated that Popov indeed took the money from the player because "he assisted Gromov with signing a contract with Severstal."

But Popov later changed his story. Popov's attorney told Sovetsky Sport that the money was paid into a "pot" by Gromov along with another young player "with a large salary," the team's coaches and managers.

The money was then allegedly given to players playing for Severstal's junior team to compensate the "inadequacy" of what the highest paid young players and the rest were making. Popov attorney's comments that "the guys needed money not only for personal reasons…but also to pay for their university tuition" sounds as absurd as I have ever heard.

Just as absurd as Popov's statements that he "knew he was violating KHL's regulations" by paying some players under the table by taking money from other players in exchange for a roster spot. He added: "Of course there were tensions. Guys from Moscow, who are two years younger, come over and make 100 thousand rubles per month… And our guys make 10 times less."

Gromov, drafted by Severstal in the first round of the KHL draft, was making about 100 thousand rubles (just over $3,000) per month, in accordance with KHL's salary guidelines for drafted players. He had to give up 50 percent of that money to the unofficial "pot."

Popov claimed that the 50 percent was paid by Gromov voluntarily (something I have a huge difficulty to believe) and that he could have said no at any time. But Gromov told Sovetsky Sport this was not the case:

"I don't understand why I had to give up half of my salary. I did it voluntarily for a year. Popov convinced me that my 50 thousand [rubles] would help the team, although at the same time he promised that starting from the next season I wouldn't have to pay anything anymore. And I believed him.

"But at the end of September last year Zemchenko [another young player who was 'asked' to pay 50 percent of his salary into the pot] and I were invited to a meeting room after practice. We were told that we would still have to pay. Moreover, I was told that I had a debt of 150 thousand [rubles] for April, August, for the pre-season, and for September. I was shocked. Where would I get this money? I spent everything in the summer."

Yesterday, the court rendered its verdict. The hearing were very emotional and the tensions rose quickly Popov was convicted of a lesser offence, under Article 330 "Arbitrariness", and was ordered to pay a fine of 30,000 rubles and return 470,000 rubles to Gromov.

Before the verdict was announced, Popov refused to accept the guilt. He said, "I am not guilty. There was no other way for me to settle the situation within the team where due to this catastrophic difference in salaries between club's prospect and the 'outsiders,' created by the KHL regulations, there were problems. Coaches asked me to take action. And I did…"

The KHL is yet to issue a statement about this incident. A number of representatives of other KHL clubs have voiced their opinion that the Severtal incident is one isolated occurrence and it is not a widespread problem.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Any other such stories?

IHF Member
    Oh wow, the comments. They're retarded soviet jokes. Why am I not surprised. Canadians got bored of trashing their own city.

Arbitrariness? 30 000 roubles? (that's like 1000 USD, btw) I suspect that also Popov's attorney shared some money with the judge, as, simply enough, attorney was from Moscow and made way more than the judge.

The most ridiculous will happen, if Popov will remain as the GM of Severstal. KHL has only one thing to do - they must ban him.

And, well, speaking of comments, I really liked this one: "in Canada you just get molested which is WAY better!" :)

Speaking of similar stories, some corruption is rumoured to exist also in Latvian youth hockey (including junior national teams), although those usually are just rumours and even the other team players don't know for sure.

Anyhow, I doubt this case will seriously affect the reputation of the KHL, while it is already pretty bad and, secondly, this story has not gained a major echo in foreign media. (at least for now)

Quote Originally Posted by ult View Post
    Oh wow, the comments. They're retarded soviet jokes. Why am I not surprised. Canadians got bored of trashing their own city.
    Nice :P All the 'bubble living' North American's for you!
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

This is pretty ridiculous, I could only imagine, after voluntarily paying, thinking it wa all over and then learning you were in debt?!/ :O BTW that's for ripping on N.A. Guys...
    Favourite Teams of the World (No Order): Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Marlies, MODO Hockey, Timrå IK, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Salavat Yulaev Ufa, HC Davos, Helsingin IFK, Red Bull Salzburg, Eisbären Berlin, HC Oceláři Třinec, Owen Sound Attack, Halifax Moosehead & Alliston Hornets <3

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Man View Post
    Come again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D Man View Post
    and then learning you were in debt?!
    In Russia player pay you!

IHF Member
    The KHL needs to fire all team members and staff who practice this type of extortion and needs to penalize teams that refuse to act.

The player rightfully won his case in court and I hope Popov is banned form coaching a team for life

I don't want to justify him in any way, but IF what Popov says is true, he doesn't deserve to be hanged by the balls just yet. While the means how he did that might not be the best ones and I guess everyone in post-Soviet territory knows what "compulsory voluntary" means, it doesn't mean that he was paying for the roster spot. What Popov says that it was a way do level the salaries. IF that is true, then while it was wrong, as long as there was no personal gain for him or people around him and money actually went to the other players, I personally think that a warning and a fine would be adequate.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    I don't want to justify him in any way, but IF what Popov says is true, he doesn't deserve to be hanged by the balls just yet. While the means how he did that might not be the best ones and I guess everyone in post-Soviet territory knows what "compulsory voluntary" means, it doesn't mean that he was paying for the roster spot. What Popov says that it was a way do level the salaries. IF that is true, then while it was wrong, as long as there was no personal gain for him or people around him and money actually went to the other players, I personally think that a warning and a fine would be adequate.
    No matter what Popov said, nothing can justify his actions. He is the f*cking GM - he chooses who he signs (if he doesn't want those "expensive Moscow juniors") and also settle the contracts and their size. Imagine Jagr coming to Omsk and the GM of Avangard taking away half his salary, in order to give it away to 4th-liners. Moreover, Gromov has played only 3 KHL games - did he really had to give away half his salary, in order to play in the MHL? I also doubt that any of the "poorer" players later received a salary any larger than the number written on the contract. Even if the money remained within the team, it is still a law enforcement, and, although not an unusual one, it still must be fought against. And, as already said, KHL has only one thing it must do - ban Popov. I will be really ashamed (however, not too surprised) if it won't happen.

So that means you have a KHL team but cant afford to pay for your youth players and have to reduce their salaries? This team and this GM are a joke...

Thread Information